Monday, February 11, 2013

Self publishing: When your confidence takes a knockin'...



First of all, a quick congratulations to our very own Michaela Rhua for the release of Guardian Awakening! It's a beautiful cover and she's a lovely lady - definitely go and check it out!

Recently I decided to jump head first into self publishing. After having several titles published through small digital presses, I wanted to stretch my wings and have more control over my writing career. I've learned a lot through my author friends and by being published in the last 2 years or so and, although I declare myself still a novice, I think I'm savvy enough use my common sense and better judgement with my books now (instead of jumping up and down and squeeing at every little thing... okay, I do still squee a little!).

Three months after starting to look into it, I've researched so much, I'm almost sick of reading about Amazon. I've procrastinated so much, I'm surprised I can make it out of bed in the morning. I've discarded so many words recently that I could have written 3 epic sagas from the leftovers.

My confidence is shot to bits. And it's because of my own inane sense of needing to know everything there is to know about self publishing. The more I read about personal experiences and of the nitty gritty of uploading books and formatting, marketing and sales figures etc, the more I convince myself my plans are wrong. The more I dithered over this new information I was constantly reading, the more my confidence in my own writing dropped.

Bummer.

So I took a step back and started making lists about all that knowledge I now have stored up in the ol' noggin. What did I finally realise I've learned over these past months? Sometimes you have to just knuckle down and do it. Simple, huh? Maybe my first S/P title will bomb. Maybe it won't. But I won't know anything unless I pull up my Wonder Woman knickers and self publish. Follow my dream and work hard. That's what it comes down to, right?

What's the moral of this story? The internet can be THE best resource in your career. It can also make you feel like a complete failure because you're not copying from someone else's documented success or that you're not as talented as the next person.

Next time I'm here I'll be showing you my new indie release. And will I be drinking tequila and simultaneously hiding under my pillow? You betcha. But what's the fun in life if you don't take a risk or two occasionally?

Now it's your turn. To make me feel better, is there anything you've been hiding from? Maybe your confidence has taken a hit recently but you're ready to join the Wonder Woman army with me? ;) 

And, whilst we're on the subject, don't forget to check out the indie anthology from a few of the Nuthouse writers, Wine and Nine. It's a HOT one :)





10 comments :

  1. Go for it Xandra! I know exactly what you mean about the confidence knocks, one day I feel good about what I've done, the next I feel a complete underachiever :(
    Sometimes I just tell myself to keep away from every social network on the planet, but I don't, because I so want to know how everyone else is doing, and I know I need to be out there making friends and contacts.
    I'm really pleased I tried self-pub, and I'll be doing it again - but I also like working with publishers.
    And hiding? Me, I hide from all kinds of things - including a story that has been haunting me for years, asking to be written. But it's totally different to everything else I've been doing, and more emotionally demanding. And scary. But I'll do it - end of this year - I will! (Keep saying it to self!!)
    Good luck with the self pub!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Xandra! Good luck with the self-publishing x Personally, I'm quivering under the covers waiting for my next release to come out. 'The Wolf on the Hill' is my first novel with Total-E-Bound and although I'm excited, I'm also nervous. I put so much into writing it and I want everyone to love it as much as I do. Now where can I get a pair of these Wonder Woman knickers? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you Xandra for you support! Having a new solo release is scary!

    So yes Wonder Woman knickers needed!

    Now it is the job of getting writing!

    Go for it - get your rear in gear and go do your self publishing thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes, too much information is just plain...too much. It can have a crippling effect of you as you've discovered.

    My attitude has always been, "Learn the basics fast and pick up the rest along the way." And it's worked well for me so far.

    I certainly look forward to your indie release. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes you have just to jump in with both feet. The internet is a wonderful thing, but, yes, it can also knock your confidence for six.

    Nothing like thinking you're doing quite well for yourself and then you read about someones else's sales figures and you kinda go, "Ah, okay then..." lol

    If I've learnt one thing it's this. Keep your head down and keep writing, because at the end of the day, readers will want the next book, or not, but you won't achieve anything unless you write.

    Looking forward to your self pub release, Xandra x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodluck with your self pubbing Xandra. I'm sure it will be a hit. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck! I hope your confidence is restored soon. Perhaps if you focus on the fun parts of the process (the control elements, etc.) rather than any goal, it will be more enjoyable?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Self pub, logistic nightmare but worth it i think. And yes i am right there with you on the confidence knocking.......

    Great post Xandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. I self-published a little less than a year ago. I tell you, it's an adventure. The most important thing I learned is not to try and do everything all at once. Take everything step by step and don't get overwhelmed. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do fine!

    Five things I learned in 2012 on livewritethrive.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go for it! It's a lot easier than many people say. I've been self publishing for a while and have 10 books on seven platforms which are beginning to sell well since the first was published in 2010.

    I edit, format and produce cover designs. It really isn't hard and need not be expensive.

    Of course there are those who can't spell and have no idea of grammar. Those people really need an editor. Others need the skills of an editor to shorten or rephrase awkward passages. Another set are technophobic and just don't believe they can format an ebook. Yet more believe they have no design skills and can't produce an attractive cover. All these people are missing out on the sheer fun of doing it yourself.

    Finally, once you've self published you can sit back and wait for the sales... except these won't come until you've learnt how to promote your book.

    ReplyDelete